[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:40:14 CDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2009, at 00:39 , gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>
>> For 1000base-T you would need 8 for each connection,
>
> 8 of what?
>
> If you get a suppressor for gigabit ethernet, you only need one for
> each port.

Which has eight components for each 'line'?

> Usually, I don't go that far.  I just suppress incoming and long
> lines.

Being ignorant, how? Aside from the APC desktop UPS/surge suppressors
and power strips with surge protectors on them for network lines, how
do you protect a dozen lines?

> If a strike is bad/close enough, it won't matter anyway, and those
> should be incredibly rare.

Uhm, I beg to differ - lightning struck the same spot twice in a span
of three years, plus or minus 30 yards.

I have a heap of dead electronics to prove it...