[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jul 28 15:13:22 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 04:00:17PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2009, at 00:39 , gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>
>> For 1000base-T you would need 8 for each connection,
>
> 8 of what?

That's a good question. I was assuming you would use some sort of static/surge
discharge device to ground, which could be a gas discharge tube,
an MOV or a variant of silicon avalanche diode(s).

You might also want one across each pair, but from what I have always been
told, you don't need them for twisted pairs.

There was a discussion recently on sci.electronics.repair, about determining
what a missing component was. The first guess was an MOV, but in the end
it was thought to be a packaged silicon avalance device.

Did you check out the link I included in a previous post? If I had to guess
where to start I would have said polyphaser or transtector, now they are the
same company.

Geoff.