[geeks] keeping track of downloads by firefox

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jul 27 16:41:20 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 05:31:08PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> You want bandwidth per local application, correct? What about monitoring
> a virtual NIC that is only used by firefox? Or a proxy that keeps track
> of bandwidth? Are you able to route traffic for firefox over a dedicated
> NIC, allowing your switch to track bandwidth?

Thanks.

I was hoping for some sort of add-on. I only want traffic (http and ftp)
totals of files I download using the "save file as" or add-ons that
do the same.

> There maybe more process-specific methods, but you'll need to share
> which OS this is running under...

I did not specify it because it's Linux, Windows XP/SP3 and MacOS 10.5.

They also download over two different ISP connections, often from the same
destination subnet.

My switch is a dumb 16 port switch, and the routers are not very smart. One
is a siemens, the other is an edimax. Which is why I was hoping to do
it in FireFox.

Geoff.