[geeks] ethernet to wireless bridge

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 22 14:33:33 CDT 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 19:34 , Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 04:16:59PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Does anyone know if you can buy an ethernet-to-wireless bridge?
>
> Hmm... There are a fair number of routers available[1], but I'm not
> sure if
> they can act as bridges only. I'm surprised that you're having
> issues with
> FreeBSD and GPRS/UMTS devices - although I've not tried one with
> FreeBSD
> myself, my understanding was that most common devices are well
> supported
> and should Just Work(tm). May be worthwhile pinging the FreeBSD
> mailing
> lists?

I managed to get the Sierra 881 working on an embedded system, so I
imagine a lot of this could be chipset and USB chipset issues, not the
modems.

Now my issue is that I don't want the standard PPP NAT, I want it to
act like a regular interface, so I'm working that out now.

It's all good regarding the drivers, at least on this machine.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com