[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jul 9 15:58:23 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 04:12:01PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>No, I meant "hidden from".  Capabilities that are present, but buried
>deep within some abstraction of the OS.  Things like, for instance, I
>remap my caps-lock keys into an extra left-shift because I hate
>accidentally hitting caps lock ...  it's a capability built into the
>kernel.  You can remap any modifier key to any other one, just for starters.
>
>...Provided you know how to calculate the correct bitfield and know
>which mostly-undocumented registry key to stuff it into.

Or how to use a search engine to find the several free programs and
Microsoft provided utilites to do it for you.

That's not ment as a personal afront, more as a comment about exactly when
Google put themselves in the search engine toilet and all the other ones
that were not already there followed.

It turns out that in 2000, when I found a registry hack to swap caps lock
and control on the Microsoft website, they already long since had a GUI
utlility to do it, but whomever wrote that knowledge base entry did not
know that it existed. :-(

The only search engine that does not suffer IMHO from the anti-seo garbage
out syndrome is Wolfram Alpha, which I swear is a 10 line perl script, which
includes  the answers to 5 questions.

The rest are stuffed in a file for someone in India to add to their
eventual database, and return a "we don't know how to handle that query
message".

Geoff.