[geeks] Problem with google voice

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 9 12:31:57 CDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 06:29 , gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> I have tried different phones, different internet connections, I
> even tried
> using a softphone on my Mac, and I always get the same result.
>
> Anyone else have any success, or a similar problem?

Yes.

The problem is often caused by two things: dial tone configuration in
your VOIP phone, and the codec you are using.

In the first case, some VOIP setups don't actually send real dial
tones.  Hopefully that's rare and/or not the case for you.

More commonly the codec you are using is mangling the dial tones
enough that the remote system cannot understand them.

Can you try setting up and using a higher quality codec in your VOIP
configuration?