[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jul 8 23:16:32 CDT 2009

>>> What part of your understanding of 'UNIX' is missing from OS X?
>> None, since you are, again, using the trademarked term, and my
>> understanding of that is "it's got the stamp of approval from the
>> trademark holder".
> Did you miss the part where you started this with
>> MacOS is UNIX?  I didn't think they had the right to use the
>> trademark.  [...]
> Your attack has silently switched from "MacOS can use the UNIX
> trademark?!" to "MacOS can use the UNIX trademark, but it's not
> really Unix!".

Yes; I was corrected on that point.  I was not previously aware that
any version of OSX had the right to use the trademark.  But Jonathan
Patschke, upthread, corrected my (mistaken) impression.

> Yes, attack.  You weren't really answering a question, you were
> trolling to reopen this discussion, which we just had about a month
> ago or so, I think.

Not consciously.  In my mind, I was respnoding to an erroneous implied
claim that OSX _is_ Unix - which I believe is only semi-true.

But if you see it as trolling, others probably will react as to
trolling, which won't help anyone.  I'll try to keep myself shut up on
the matter - this time around, at least, though I'm likely to have
forgotten by the next time the issue resurfaces. :(

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org