[geeks] A U30 puzzle

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 3 20:48:13 CDT 2009

Nadine Miller wrote:
> Are you patched up to current levels?  I'd check to see if there are
> any regressions from Solaris 10 release in your OS.  What about your
> cables?  Cat-5 or 6?  Length?  Known to be good?

Cables are cat5, but for the hme that shouldn't matter.  No cable
involved is longer than three meters.  Good call on patching, though, I
have not patched the box yet and should check.

> There's a bug in netatalk, if you have that installed that can cause
> your network connection to drop (had that problem on mine) recompiled
> with the latest, which fixed it.

netatalk isn't running on the machine with the problem.

> I've seen some weird stuff with Solaris and network adaptors.  I have
> one motherboard that is known good with an rge (Realtek 8111C) NIC
> that falls off the network for about 5 minutes at a time.  It works
> fine in both Mac OS X and Windows XP.  The problem is a known bug
> regression in Nevada, but I am running Solaris 10 release on the
> system.  I have the same chipset NIC in my NAS, no problems
> whatsoever.  I can only surmise it is a hardware chip revision level
> issue.

Yet the same hme worked fine since 2000/2001 running Solaris 9, until
just the last few weeks.  During that same month or so of downtime, the
SunSwiftPCI went sour.  I still can't help but wonder if the hme has
developed a fault.  Unfortumately it's the one on the board.

I suppose I could always put another 100Mbit adapter in as primary,
unplumb the hme, and see if that makes any difference (keeping the
gigabit in as a dedicated sync link between the two machines).

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.