[geeks] Dell sale on T105 Server

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 19:00:59 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Michael-John Turner<mj at mjturner.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 03:11:50PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Very nice for modest needs (only 2 HDs, 3 if you use the second Optical
>> Bay and a 3 1/2" to 5 1/4" adapter plate).
>
> I have four drives in my T105, with space for one more. Three in an IcyDock
> converter (converts 3x5.25" to take 4x3.5") and one more in the internal
> 3.5" bay. The other internal 3.5" bay is empty, but I'm out of free SATA
> ports. Fitting the IcyDock did require a small amount of surgery to remove
> extraneous metal tabs inside the case though.

Sounds like you might be able to fit the $25 CoolerMaster 4 into
3x5.25" drive bay adaptor in this as well.  Addonics makes a 4 port
Silicon Chips 3124-based PCI SATA RAID card that is supported under
Solaris (I'm running it in JBOD mode w/ZFS).  This card also supports
port multipliers.

You might also be able to get a drive bay fan and shroud to fit it;
varying thickness fans are getting more common as people are building
bigger NAS boxes for home.  The CoolerMaster drive bay adaptor comes
with such a shroud.  I have a spare blue LED 120mm fan and shroud if
someone would like to try to "make it work".  I don't use the shroud
or fan in my application since the faceplate of my case has enough
clearance for the adaptor and non-LED fan to fit behind it.

=Nadine=