[geeks] iPhone alternatives

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Jan 29 12:48:49 CST 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> What do you guys think of iPhone alternatives these days?
>
> I have decided to start using a PDA again, and of course I looked at
> iPhone.
>
> However, I hate AT&T service, and I think the iPhone sucks as a
> phone.  I much prefer T-Mobile service over AT&T and Sprint, at least
> in my area.
>
> I thought about getting an iTouch, but Apple does annoying things like
> leave off features and charge more than the iPhone, plus it would mean
> carrying two devices.  Most important missing feature in iPhone is a
> GPS.  Seems a really silly omission.
>
> So, I'm looking at possible replacements for my Motorola KRZR to get
> better PDA features.
>
> Does anyone have any long-term experience with the G1 now?
>
> I also see a few others from T-Mobile like the Sidekick.
>
> One thing though: I would prefer to have generic WiFi support, rather
> than only T-Mobile's "HotSpot" Wi-Fi.
>
> Generic Wi-Fi is more widely available, and of course it is free.
>
> Feel free to gush wildly about your favorite toys in this area...
>
> NOTE: I'm not totally opposed to carrying two devices, just thinking
> about trying to reduce it to one.

I like my Blackberry Storm, and I liked the earlier Blackberry that I
had when I was with nextel four years ago.  Between those, I had a Treo
700w (Windows Mobile) and I found it to be a very frustrating device, to
put it mildly.  I also am not a big fan of the iphone as I also do not
like AT&T's service, and found the touchscreen to be difficult for
dialing and typing.  Yes, the Storm is also a touchscreen smartphone,
but the click screen makes all the difference to me.

    -Dan Sikorski

    -Dan Sikorski