[geeks] iPhone alternatives

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jan 29 12:35:40 CST 2009

What do you guys think of iPhone alternatives these days?

I have decided to start using a PDA again, and of course I looked at
iPhone.

However, I hate AT&T service, and I think the iPhone sucks as a
phone.  I much prefer T-Mobile service over AT&T and Sprint, at least
in my area.

I thought about getting an iTouch, but Apple does annoying things like
leave off features and charge more than the iPhone, plus it would mean
carrying two devices.  Most important missing feature in iPhone is a
GPS.  Seems a really silly omission.

So, I'm looking at possible replacements for my Motorola KRZR to get
better PDA features.

Does anyone have any long-term experience with the G1 now?

I also see a few others from T-Mobile like the Sidekick.

One thing though: I would prefer to have generic WiFi support, rather
than only T-Mobile's "HotSpot" Wi-Fi.

Generic Wi-Fi is more widely available, and of course it is free.

Feel free to gush wildly about your favorite toys in this area...

NOTE: I'm not totally opposed to carrying two devices, just thinking
about trying to reduce it to one.