[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Aug 6 21:00:30 CDT 2009

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> "
> " Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " > " From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> " > "
> " > " Rarely do we ever need more law, we just need to start enforcing what
> " > " we have or get rid of it.
> " >
> " > but the more law you have, the more complicated and confusing the
> " > enforcement issue is and the harder to ascertain that dubious acts
> " > aren't somehow allowed, which would delight certain interested
> " > parties [and their lawyers] greatly i'm sure...
> "
> " I've been saying for many years, it's time to pile the Federal Register,
> " the US Code and the various state codes up on a spot of waste land
> " somewhere, burn it, and start over, like the Althing used to every year.
> "  Those Vikings were pretty shrewd; the Althing got to keep as many laws
> " as its members could correctly recall and write down from memory in 24
> " hours.  Everything else?  If you couldn't remember it, it couldn't have
> " been very important, could it?
>
> not to you perhaps, but there are over 300 million americans...
> this could be a recipe for disaster.  suppose [for a moment] that
> special interests 'assist' certain congresscritters to get elected,
> who can only 'remember' laws helpful to their new friends.

I came across this interview earlier today, and while I don't agree with
all of it I think it raises some interesting ideas ...

http://www.alumni.berkeley.edu/Alumni/Cal_Monthly/November_2004/QA-_A_conversation_with_Yuri_Slezkine.asp

You have the "apollonian" societal structures in the rural parts of the
USA (and we still look to the rural more than in other countries, I
think), vs. the "mercurians" which is essentially anyone who works in
technology, is mobile, or urban.

And perhaps this split is part of the problem with our current legal
system - a Procrustean one-size-fits-all approach that ends up suiting
no one.

--Patrick