[geeks] WinXP SP2 Print Spooler Crash - Any ideas?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Apr 28 09:49:17 CDT 2009

> When trying to print (in this case to a printer on the network) the
> printer list goes blank, then a standard error message pops up saying
> "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close.".
> When I try to add a printer it refuses and says the Spooler Service is
> not running (which it isn't, I checked in the Services tool).

I can't say I've seen that when printing to a network printer.  I've seen
the spooler crap out when printing to a local printer hooked up to a
Windows computer, and the rare occasion that's happened I tend to get
properties on the printer, go to the "Advanced" tab, and change the
printer from "Spool print documents so program finished printing faster"
to "Print directly to the printer" and then it prints fine.

- Nate