[geeks] Macbook drive fun

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 08:52:08 CDT 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 1:20 AM, William Barnett-Lewis
<wlewisiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on my macbook recently and realized the hard drive is
> sounding a bit too loud. I began dumping as much as possible out to
> dvd+r's as I can but...
>
> Today the Seagate 160gb drive ate it's bearings and let me know when
> all of a sudden every application froze up :) That make's the third
> dead hard drive for this beastie in the 2 years I've owned it... of
> course, two of them had help dying with knocks off the table by my
> son, but hey...
>
> I ran out to my favorite local hole in the wall that sells all kinds
> of interesting components and found a new Hitachi 320gb (or 298 real
> GBs)  drive. $80 later I'm home and rebuilding. Shuffling DVD's is
> even more annoying than shuffling floppies was ...
>
> Anyone have any experience with this drive? The model number in system
> profiler is HTS543232L9A300 I'm just wondering if I can hope for a bit
> better than the about 1 year life span I got out of the Seagate. I
> shouldn't be too harsh about the Seagate - I got it cheap as an HP
> pull off of ebay so I may well be lucky it survived this long ;O

How old is it?

I've never had a problem with seagate notebook drives, this sounds
like the eBay seller saw this coming...

Retail versions of that drive come with 3-5 year warrantees, I'd
expect the drive to last 3 yrs.

Heat? Is this a high RPM drive in a low-RPM laptop?

Lionel