[geeks] Macbook drive fun

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 00:20:44 CDT 2009

I'm working on my macbook recently and realized the hard drive is
sounding a bit too loud. I began dumping as much as possible out to
dvd+r's as I can but...

Today the Seagate 160gb drive ate it's bearings and let me know when
all of a sudden every application froze up :) That make's the third
dead hard drive for this beastie in the 2 years I've owned it... of
course, two of them had help dying with knocks off the table by my
son, but hey...

I ran out to my favorite local hole in the wall that sells all kinds
of interesting components and found a new Hitachi 320gb (or 298 real
GBs)  drive. $80 later I'm home and rebuilding. Shuffling DVD's is
even more annoying than shuffling floppies was ...

Anyone have any experience with this drive? The model number in system
profiler is HTS543232L9A300 I'm just wondering if I can hope for a bit
better than the about 1 year life span I got out of the Seagate. I
shouldn't be too harsh about the Seagate - I got it cheap as an HP
pull off of ebay so I may well be lucky it survived this long ;O

Thanks,

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.