[geeks] Backup software (yeah, yeah, I know)

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:35:21 CDT 2009

Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Back in the CP/M days, I wrote a program that backed up hard-drive data to
> multiple [floppy] disks, grouping the files by size in such a way as to fill
> the disks and just copying the files.  I'd love to have something like that
> now.  Ideally, you'd give it a list of directories; it would then (a)
> assemble the files from those directories in a way that efficiently used the
> space on the DVDs, (b) make ISOs or whatever, and (c) burn the DVDs,
> prompting you to load the burner, etc.
>
> Does something like that exist?  If not, anyone want to go into the software
> business?
>
> -Shel

It looks like Burn to the Brim[0] will handle (a) and (b), but then
you'd have to burn the ISOs manually using your favorite burning
software. I haven't used it in a while, so I don't know how well the ISO
creation works.  But a few years ago when I used it regularly for
creating archive CDs it worked great at splitting files/folders up
efficiently. I also just stumbled across PackEmIn[1], which for $8 looks
like it does everything you want.

[0]: http://bttb.sourceforge.net/
[1]: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2037102,00.asp