[geeks] anyone have experience with thin provisioning+ ZFS + iSCSI?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Apr 7 20:17:07 CDT 2009

I am looking to add iSCSI to the mix.

I found out about thin provisioning, which looks really cool...
basically it lets you over-commit the amount of disk space you offer to
clients.

I am thinking of using a Solaris/ZFS server as iSCSI target with thin
provisioning, then using ZFS as the filesystem from each system.

However, it seems that ZFS will sometimes zero out the entire disk it is
presented, which would cause the thin provisioning to basically not work
as intended.

The last cuddletech post I can find is from 2006... anyone have some
real-world experience?

--Patrick