[geeks] Solaris 10 U6: install failure

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 5 19:09:47 CDT 2009

Today I wasted a good few hours trying to upgrade to Solaris 10 U6.

I need that release because it improves Intel e1000 support, has
mirrored ZFS root, and other things I want and need.

However, Sun removed the working sata_nv driver and replaced it with
one that only does AHCI.  Technically it is supposed to be able to do
non AHCI too, but that part is still broken.

Sun is aware of the issue, and their response is that they have no
idea at present what is wrong.  It affects even some Sun branded
servers.

The new driver seems OK for hard drives, so if you can work around the
boot/install issue, it should be OK.

For example, I can boot from the install DVD, but Solaris U6 is then
unable to mount it.

That said...

I need to find some way to get this installed, so I'm looking for ideas.

The current setup is an 80GB root drive and a 400GB drive as a zpool
with the data.

I was planning to install a pair of 320GB drives to use as a mirrored
root.

All of the data is backed up to the 400GB zpool and external NAS
storage, so the plan was to start with the new drives and then copy
data back.

Is it possible to boot from the U4 DVD (which works great) and then
install from the U6 DVD?

Any ideas appreciated.

I suppose I could end the pain by buying a new server that has full
AHCI support, and just move the CPU, memory, and drives over.

I only paid $350 for the server, and all my upgrades should run fine
on a new AM2 socket system.

However, I hate waste so I want a way to get this done if there is one.

This is a server I use for both personal and work duty, so I can't
have it down for days.  Whatever I do needs to be something I can get
done in 2-4 hours.

Really, it should take no longer than 1-2 hours to do this, if I can
solve the driver issue.