[geeks] Appropriate Ayn Rand comment for the election...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Nov 6 13:46:48 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 01:47:05PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> ACORN doesn't "accept" registration forms, they solicit applications.
> They are not as passive as your statement would lead me to believe.
>
> Isn't it a crime to knowingly submit a false registration form? Why
> didn't ACORN work with law enforcement to stop false registrations? How
> do I know they didn't? Because you don't indict, raid and prosecute your
> informants...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081018/ap_on_el_ge/fraud_or_foolishness

"ACORN officials have repeatedly claimed that their own quality control
 workers were the first to discover problematic ballots. In every state
 investigating bad registrations, ACORN tipped off local officials to bogus
 or incomplete cards, spokesman Kettenring said.

 Many states require that all registrations be submitted to local voting
 officials so that election directors are in charge of vetting problem
 ballots, not the groups collecting them.

 Part-time ACORN workers receive one day of training and are paid $8 an hour
 to collect signatures, according to Kettenring. He blamed bogus cards on
 cheating and lazy employees trying to make a buck for doing nothing.

 When caught, Kettenring said, those workers are fired. The group is in the
 process of tallying the number of bad cards ACORN flagged for election
 officials, he said. Kettenring said he doubted the percentage of such
 registrations would reach 2 percent."

Again, for emphasis:

"Many states require that all registrations be submitted to local voting
 officials so that election directors are in charge of vetting problem
 ballots, not the groups collecting them."

Why would a group RAT THEMSELVES OUT if they were trying to commit fraud?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas