[geeks] Solaris 10 10.08 version now up

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:14:50 CDT 2008

On Nov 1, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Yay!  ZFS for all!
>
> I will never understand why sun.com is so insistent to be sure you use
> 700MB CD blanks for burning Solaris 10 ISOs, when the largest ISO (the
> "companion" CD that most people don't even use) is 660MB and the
> second
> largest (the largest of the five actually *important* ISOs) is 470MB.

Were I in their position, I would make the same recommendation - they
have one simple requirement, no matter how big the ISO is, the advice
is the same and it's never wrong.

What would they gain by pointing out that a given ISO is N megs in
size and will fit on a CD-R of a certain size or greater? I don't
notice any price difference between 700 meg CD-Rs and smaller (650
meg?) ones - there may be a difference, but I've not noticed it.

> For that matter, I don't entirely see why it's split up the way it is.
> The entire release would fit on four 650MB discs with room to spare.

Or one DVD...