[geeks] Q: Anyone ever set up a "store front" on eBay?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu May 29 13:51:22 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Subject says it all - I have a basement full of aborted, never started
> projects and misc. efforts that has resulted in me accumulating a ton of
> stupid items I'd like to shed, and it is my perception that if I set up a
> store front I can have items remain for extended periods and maybe get some
> sort of "break" on the listing charges.
>
> I have a ton of stuff to shed, and I'd like to get rid of it in a manner that
> results in a little folding money and a cleaner basement. Most if what I have
> is low-cost, low-interest computer hardware, but I figure if I list it on
> eBay, I might be able to find folks to use my "treasures".

It's fairly straightforward, but it has it's own set of problems.

Store listings don't show up in "Best Match" (this is weighted search
that involves "ending soonest" and a number of other factors).  Best
Match is the default for anyone who has not set their search preferences
on eBay (read: alot).

There is a decent price break on listing fees, but I don't think the FVF
fee breaks are significant, from what I remember.

You really need to do a cost-breakdown to determine if it makes sense
for you. I think it's really about the volume.  My brief analysis
indicated it wasn't really worth it for me, even though I had a
significant amount of stuff to post (and still do, actually, haven't
made a dent).

You don't get real price-breaks until you are a Powerseller and have
4.8+ DSRs.  For a casual seller, I think using something free like
Auctiva to get 3rd party insurance (cheaper than USPS), profiles for
quick listings, photo hosting, and being able to save fixed price
listings, is a better option.

You might want to check out the seller's forum @ eBay and/or read up on
some of the 3rd party eBay forums.

=Nadine=