[geeks] Wireless keyboard for Mac suitable for living room?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue May 27 15:28:30 CDT 2008

>From: Anthony Ortenzi <geeks at litfire.com>
>Date: 2008/05/26 Mon PM 09:21:01 EDT
>To: 'The Geeks List' <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Wireless keyboard for Mac suitable for living room?

>I've finally gotten the Mac Mini hooked up in my living room (didn't have a
>DVI->HDMI adapter before), and moved the AppleTV to the bedroom.  While the
>Mini's main use has been just to serve up content via iTunes, and "play"
>with sometimes, and I can access FrontRow with my Harmony One, I'd like to
>have the convenience of being able to use the thing as a computer still
>(hey, a 40" 1920 x 1080 display is nice for showing some things off. plus
>full-screening Hulu.com videos means some nice TV-on-demand).
>

>Running a USB cable to the couch is doable, but I'd really prefer wireless
>keyboard/mouse.  Integrated trackpad or trackball might make more sense for
>couch use. I know that there are plenty of cheap wireless PC keyboard
>options, but to please the lady of the house, having the Apple keycaps will
>ease some pain.
>

>Has anyone got suggestions about what wireless mac keyboard and pointing
>device might be best for living room use?

I'd first suggest RF wireless, not irda (bluetooth might be OK).

Having said that, do you know the range of the Apple bluetooth "wireless"
keyboard and mouse? That might be a suitable option. If the range is too
short, maybe you can run a USB cable *near* your sofa and attach a bluetooth
dongle to it, say under the floor, under your coffee table/sofa?

Just a thought - I'm trying to figure out what to do with an original Mac Mini
1.25 GHz PowerPC system, and family room media terminal seems like a good
idea...

Lionel