[geeks] The topic for the day..

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:39:09 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM, James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> > > Discuss.
> >
> > I'm going to guess that it either has to do with workstations, PCs,
> and
> > Macs using byte addressing instead of word addressing.  But that is
> just
> > a guess since I don't know what addressing model was used on machines
> > that refer to memory size as megawords.
>

> Isn't word length (and subsequent memory footprint) determined by CPU
> architecture (8,16,32,64,21,13 bits) and not memory?
>
> If so, 2 1MX8 memory modules would give me 2Mword in an 8 bit machine
> and 1Mword in a 16 bit machine.

The General public understands a byte (giga-byte, etc.); they don't
understand a word (pun intended).
The Windows sysadmin that I work with understand a byte; they have no
programming background so they don't understanding a word.
The only people that I know who do understand a word are people with
programming classses, experience, etc.

PR people deal with the general public and they, themselves, don't appear to
understand a word.

lowest common denominator.