[geeks] grudging praise for a Micosoft product

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 26 22:42:09 CDT 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 02:23 , Jonathan Groll wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:05:12PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> I decided to get a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 that was on
>> sale at the local Staples, figuring it would reduce wear on the
>> keyboard.
>>
>> Well, not only is it doing that purpose, but I am finding that my
>> wrists
>> and back are not sore at the end of the day.
>>
>> When using a laptop keyboard for many hours I end up scrunching up
>> due
>> to my arms being turned inward to hold the hands on the home row,
>> especially since the trackpad is right below the space bar.
>>
>> While I was sure I would hate the differently shaped keys (G and H
>> are
>> wider than Q and P for instance) I seem to have adjusted easily to
>> it.
>> The padding on the palm rest is exactly the right firmness.  The
>> mouse
>> is large and easy to control.
>>
>> I bought it for about $30 from Staples on sale.  Even came with the
>> batteries.
>>
>> Recommended.
>
> Its been a badly kept geek secret for a while that MS make some of the
> better budget keyboards and 'rats' out there...

I think most of their mice and keyboards suck, but that's mostly
because I think nearly all keyboards and mice suck... :)

I find their keyboards a bit overpriced for what you get.

Their keyboard layouts are not bad, but they would greatly improve if
they would put in a metal plate to give them more weight, and switch
to the same membranes that the older IBM membrane keyboards used to
use.  It felt almost like a switch.

What they use now is horrible.

See, it wasn't enough to switch to membranes, now they've even
abandoned the good membranes.

> In fact, controversially, I would say that Apple make some of the
> poorest external keyboards out there - the actual tactile
> responsiveness of the white keyboards (both thin and thick) just don't
> do it for me. Is it just me, or when it comes to keyboards do any of
> you find that the 'emperor' has no clothes?

Apple keyboards suck, especially the newest ones.

The Apple Pro keyboard would actually be OK, and feels acceptable for
a membrane keyboard, but it is a horrible crumb catching, and just
felt odd to me.

I ended up getting a Matias USB 2.0 keyboard.  Membrane, but decent
enough feel that I can type OK on it, and nice USB ports.

I'm still looking for a "good" Mac keyboard.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com