[geeks] Compiling php5 with extras from pkgsrc

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Sun May 25 12:59:35 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 06:46:52PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> Like I said, some of the stuff (like PDO, which I've already used
> alongside the default install) is available as '.so' modules that can be
> dynamically loaded. Some of it however isn't, and must be compiled in at
> compile time. Typically it's usually this stuff that's compiled into
> binary distributions, but it's not set to compile in the NetBSD pkgsrc
> version.

It looks to me like the bundled extensions are built as separate packages
(eg, take a look at misc/php-calendar and misc/php-mbstring), but you'll
need to build them separately. Unfortunately, building multiple binaries
from a single source package isn't something that pkgsrc handles well,
hence the slightly messy approach.

> Also, I will cry if I have to manually compile all the extensions
> manually one at a time, it'll take me a short ice age to do :(

Hopefully you'll find packages for all the extensions you need (albeit that
you'll need to build packages for them invidually).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net      <>  http://mjturner.net/