[geeks] Import Fees

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 23 10:04:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> a major fairness step would also be to require foreign manufacturers to
> comply with us employment and environmental laws if they wish to trade
> here.

That would have interesting side-effects.  The ones I van think of
initially are that it would completely kill outsourcing (since it would
no-longer be any less expensive to have one's labor overseas) and
completely tank what's left of the US economy (since we don't build
much here anymore).

However, the fact that we don't do that (along with all this talk of
Kyoto carbon credits) underlines the whole silliness of the current
situation: it's completely okay (and will Save the Earth!) to pay other
people do to Bad Things on your behalf, so long as you don't actually do
them yourself.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi