[geeks] Import Fees

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu May 22 10:08:41 CDT 2008

" From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
"
" []
"
" One problem with the tariff debate in the USA is that workers are always
" screaming for protectionist tariffs.  I don't believe in protectionist
" tariffs.  I don't think they work.  I *do*, however, believe in punitive
" tariffs.  You tariff imports from our country at a high rate, and we'll
" tariff yours at exactly double the rate you chose.  You don't like it,
" drop your tariffs, and ours will automatically go away.  There are too
" many situations in the US where the tariffs are radically misbalanced.

a major fairness step would also be to require foreign manufacturers to
comply with us employment and environmental laws if they wish to trade
here.