[geeks] healthcare was: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri May 23 08:55:44 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Why do they charge one person $100 for aspirin (contrived example to
> make a point) in a hospital? To cover the person that came in for
> treatment with no ability to pay for their services, and to subsidise
> the treatments sold to insured patients at "discount" or contracted
> rates... This is our current health care system in the US in a
> nutshell. The person that is kept from medical attention is the one
> without insurance but has some means to pay for their medical
> services, but they stay away because the fees are astronomical in
> relation to the service provided...
>
> Lionel

Actually this ties in with another hot-button issue in the USA, which is
illegal immigration.  Many illegals show up and get care at emergency
rooms, which are required to take care of them.

States that have cracked down on illegals, such as Oklahoma and Arizona,
  are finding out that surprisingly, ERs are no longer crowded and a
drain on the rest of the hospital's resources.

(example: in Oklahoma if you are stopped by a police officer and you
have an illegal alien in your car, the new law allows for your car to be
impounded.)

--Patrick