[geeks] Moved to geeks: Cheap Ham radios (was Dayton Hamfest)

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun May 18 22:05:25 CDT 2008

> Yes, People no longer think in "around 14.2 mHz", they think in "14.200.000".
> Channelization would be even better, but I don't want to make them
> too attractive to people thinking they are "new CB radios".

Like that hasn't happened before.  Recently a chain of truck stop stores got nailed for selling 28 MHz transceivers for CB radios.

> No, look at the Ten-Tec Scout. Internally it was a disaster. It used an
> analog tuning system with a digital display. In order to keep it on the
> frequency it was set to, the microprocessor had to constantly retune it.

Sounds like a simple phase lock loop system.  They do really retune any drift without a microprocessor.  Doesn't having a microprocessor in there make it digital, even partially?  I have some radios with no loops, just an oscillator with a frequency counter attached.  Darn stable too.  Digital synthesis (and phase locked loops) allows a company to put in less than optimal parts and stability won't suffer.

> Digital synthesizer chips are cheap enough these days.

True.

> After all, if Wal-Mart can sell a 28mHz AM rig (CB) for $35, someone
> should be able to make an entry level 14mHz SSB rig to sell for $200.

It's 27 mHz in the US. :)  The only problem is that they can sell more CB rigs than ham rigs so the volume can decrease the cost.  Too bad the ham rigs have better specs than the CB rigs but the CB rigs have to be type accepted in the US. I find that a little ironic.

> I discounted used rigs, because my target market does not have the skills
> or equipment to fix them. The idea is to make "radioless" hams feel good
> about getting back on the air, and nothing spoils you day more than
> blowing your hobby/entertainment budget on a used radio and finding
> out it does not work. :-(

I guess I'm thinking of the old time hams that could fix a simple rig.  Analog units are simpler to repair than digital ones and usually, if the digital ones go, they go. :)

So far, I have never gotten a none-working rig from eBay.   In fact, I don't remember even buying one at a hamfest that did not work unless the person said it did not work.  Of course, YMMV :)  There are older rigs out there that are fully functional that go for relatively cheap.

It would be nice to have a cheap rig.  The cheapest, new HF rig of decent power runs around $500-550.  A little expensive for beginning hams and those reentering the hobby.

Bob