[geeks] Moved to geeks: Cheap Ham radios (was Dayton Hamfest)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 18 00:06:14 CDT 2008

> I guess the ones that are used to digital tuning would have problems
> mentally subtracting .2 from the analog dial reading. :)

Yes, People no longer think in "around 14.2 mHz", they think in "14.200.000".
Channelization would be even better, but I don't want to make them
too attractive to people thinking they are "new CB radios".

> They are probably more familiar with a digital frequency readout than
> a microprocessor controlled frequency synthesizer. That is usually
> transparent to the user.

No, look at the Ten-Tec Scout. Internally it was a disaster. It used an
analog tuning system with a digital display. In order to keep it on the
frequency it was set to, the microprocessor had to constantly retune it.

Digital synthesizer chips are cheap enough these days.

After all, if Wal-Mart can sell a 28mHz AM rig (CB) for $35, someone
should be able to make an entry level 14mHz SSB rig to sell for $200.

> There I agree with you. My units were obtain on eBay at significantly
> lower price. :)

I discounted used rigs, because my target market does not have the skills
or equipment to fix them. The idea is to make "radioless" hams feel good
about getting back on the air, and nothing spoils you day more than
blowing your hobby/entertainment budget on a used radio and finding
out it does not work. :-(

Geoff.