[geeks] VoIP endpoint service?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri May 16 17:16:15 CDT 2008

Alois Hammer wrote:
> I'm looking for VoIP service that I can hook up to a running Asterisk
> install on my router.  I *think* I've got the traffic-shaping handled
> already; now I need a provider.  VoIP Street was recommended to me --
> and looks good -- but it seems to be more intended for resellers.  In
> fact, they say so.  Can anyone recommend a VoIP service I can plug into
> Asterisk?  And maybe hardware so I can plug in phones of some
> description?

I have had decent success with Vitelity.com.

Sign up with a credit card, they give you the full config that you cut
and paste into sip.conf etc.  Works pretty well.

If you want to buy actual SIP phones, they will vary in price from about
$60 on up to whatever you want to spend.

For a very nice business desktop phone, I like the Polycom 650, which
has a nice backlight and a high-res screen, about $225 to $250 I think.
  It is the kind of phone I would buy if I were using it for an hour or
more per day.

For more casual use, the Grandstream phones seem to have a low price and
decent features.

Check http://www.voipsupply.com for the phones, then comparison shop.

Personally I do not like the Cisco phone all that much, especially
because it is a pain to get the SIP firmware load if you have a phone
with the SCCP (Cisco proprietary VOIP software) firmware loaded.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net