[geeks] What is a good download manager for Linux

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:38:11 CDT 2008

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> On May 7, 2008, at 11:24, hike wrote:
>> I would like to be able to restart the DVD image download at the point
>> that
>> it was stopped by Comcast.
>
> The first thing that comes to my mind is bittorrent. Encrypted,
> fuck-you-and-your-packet-sniffing-too bittorrent. IIRC some clients have
> encryption on by default now, so even users connected to non-infringing
> torrents may have it enabled.
>
> I mean, besides the obvious ditching of your shitty ISP, which I know
> isn't always an option.
>
>> (It happens that OpenSolaris & Ubuntu have come out the same month and
>> I am
>> upgrading my workstation to RHEL 5.
>
> Maybe the simplest answer is to download from work? Unless they use
> Comcast, too, in which case, I'm so very, very sorry.

That will only work if you are DL'ing bittorrents, not if you are trying
to seed.  Comcast is well-known for using technologies to send hang-ups
to the leechers for any seed connections you have.

For the files mentioned, probably not an issue, but it isn't a panacea
to the problem.

I hope to bloody hell I never have to use Comcast for an ISP.

=Nadine=