[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Jun 27 09:05:39 CDT 2008

How do the 'geeks' people here backup their Apple machines?

I've tried timemachine, but I only have a 120GB external USB drive to
back up my 120GB hard disk in my macbook. It sort-of works - I have to
exclude certain folders (e.g. ~/Pictures) so that it will even allow a
backup to commence in the first place, but upon a subsequent
timemachine backup it will complain that there isn't enough space to
perform a backup. So it doesn't have the capability to do an
'rsync'. And don't get me started about the non-existent support for
network drives like NFS.

I really would like to like super duper, but its been super slow for
me - I typically can backup at 3 or 4 MB/s. And I am not alone here:
http://echeng.com/journal/2008/02/11/superduper-25-out-for-leopard-still-slow/
(If they make it fast I'll gladly fork out the $)

Ideally, I would like to perform a regular rsync, but am not sure how
well it would work on an Apple. Anyone here got a method, or a
suggestion?

Thanks,
Jonathan.