[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:12:28 CDT 2008

On 29 Jul 2008, at 22:59, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> No, I was responding to your statement that they don't pay much to
> make their DVDs.
>
> In that case, it should be pretty trivial for them to sell them to
> current MacOS owners.
>
> Like I go to the store with my Leopard 10.5.0 DVD and get a 10.5.4
> DVD for $10 or do it online.
>
> I don't see proof of ownership as that hard.

Invoice/Order number from your purchase? Wait, no-one ever keeps the
receipt. License key? Oh no it's hasn't got one. Photocopy of the
cover of the box??! It's not as easy as it looks ;) I suppose they
*might* be able to look it up on the billing system, but it'd be long
winded at best.

> Plus, they've done it before.  I know people who have gotten updated
> install disks, but it seems to be an inconsistent policy.

I think you probably have to have a case, like... \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

> It's really frustrating for some of the flat panel Mac owners,
> because 10.5.0 is a disaster on those systems.

Yeh it stacked into the ground on some iMacs. Wouldn't even boot
unless you did a fresh install and even that didn't work on a small
number.

> For that matter, since I have upgraded the video card in my Mac Pro,
> I cannot even boot my Leopard DVD.
>
> I just now remembered that.  Crap...
>
> Now I remember the primary reason I was looking for updated install
> disks in the first place... :)
>
> Maybe that will prod Apple into giving me a new DVD.

That's a mighty good point, I should do the same!

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>