[geeks] Install without DVD (was Re: DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jul 26 14:31:47 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 02:18:22PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> My DVD drive is acting up - it won't read the install DVD.

1. Check the disk for fingerprints, scratches, etc.

2. Try and clean it. Some people say cleaning disks ruin drives, here in
the desert where everything gets covered with dust, it saves them.

> I can get it fixed but I'll have to send the laptop away for that, so
> I've been putting it off.
>
> Is there any way to upgrade to MacOS 10.5.x without using the built-in
> DVD?

I think the G4 laptops will boot off of a firewire disk/DVD drive,
and the Intel ones will boot off of USB too.

Geoff.