[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 68, Issue 10

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 20:38:55 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/07/22 Tue PM 03:09:41 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 68, Issue 10

>On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:43 , Bill Blum wrote:
>
>> If you notice in the manual page for login.conf, the option you're
>> looking
>> for (idletime) isn't implemented.
>
>Actually, that not what I'm looking for.
>
>idletime is how long before an idle login gets kicked off.
>
>I'm talking about the amount of time the login prompt is displayed
>before the login program gives up.

You're talking about "failed attempts", not "timeout" or "idle time"...

>In other words *BEFORE* anyone has logged in.

But attempted to log in "n" number of times and failed...

>I want to avoid customizing the code because that just adds yet
>another program to manage and I already have more than I have time for.
>
>I can't believe they left off something this fundamental.

Sorry I can't help - all I can do is *hopefully* help clarify your description...

Oh, BTW - there is a new BIOS for the Dell AMD PowerEdge T105 server - it corrects some odd little issues in the CPU:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=15496&libid=1&releaseid=R189817&vercnt=4&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_T105&servicetag=&os=LHS64&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

>From the description:

Fixes:
1. BIOS setup menu showed wrong DIMM frequency when AMD CPUs installed.
2. BIOS didn't build up SMBIOS table for L3 cache on AMD CPU.

Enjoy,

Lionel