[geeks] FYI - crazy offer from Microsoft Live, eBay, PayPal  (25% cashback)

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:50:46 CDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2008, at 18:31 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Net result Party A fronts $1,000 plus one set of PayPal/eBay fees,
>> Party B fronts the PayPal/eBay fees, each has $250 deposited in
>> their PayPal account 60 days after their "purchases"...
>
> They wait 60 days to deposit the bonus thing?
>
> Since I don't trust them, makes me wonder why.

45 day limit to report buyer/seller disputes; 60 days total available
for resolution through Paypal.

If you're an eBay buyer or seller, it's important to understand
PayPal's operating policies.

For instance, much as you see it posted in auctions, there is no such
thing as "AS-IS" in PayPal's purview.  If you say X is broken on an
item, and Y ends up being broken instead, the purchaser can file a
dispute and return that thing to you.

If you don't ship with delivery confirmation (and signature
confirmation) on items over $250, buyer scam #1 is to file a dispute
claiming the item was never received.  In the majority of cases,
PayPal will side with the purchaser and refund monies.  Another buyer
scam: purchase an item they already have that's broken where the
seller seems sloppy (and therefore unlikely to keep serial numbers or
other means of identifying the object, like a "seller's mark").  Then
file a PP dispute, returning the broken item.  Scammer keeps their
money and the working item.

With no neg feedback for buyers anymore, it's going to be a lot harder
for sellers to keep up with scammers.  Reading forums is all we have.
I'm sure some enterprising individual will come up with a way to
augment eBay's system...there's still too much money left on the corpse.

I find it interesting that M$ is taking a direct "throw money at the
problem" approach to try to get eyeballs on Live Search.  I wonder how
far they are willing to empty their deep pockets to undermine the big
Goog?  As for the circle of cash idea, think of it as your M$ OS tax
refund.  Unfortunately, right now I have nothing viable as a seed for
such a ruse, nor the capital.

=Nadine=