[geeks] HD DVD is dead, long live Blu-Ray!

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:13:11 CST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 8:06 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> For those who haven't heard, Toshiba is pulling out of HD DVD business,
> making Blu-Ray DVD the new VHS (aka Industry Standard).
>
> Great - does this mean that now Netflix will carry Blu-Ray DVDs? I hope
> so, that would get me to join again ;^)
>
> Story in WSJ:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120342115442976687.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
>
> Lionel

I've been on the fence for the past few weeks. When I heard the "news"
(denied by toshiba as of yesterday afternoon), I went in hunt mode.
This is a great time for fans of hi def. I just picked up 8 HD DVD
movies for the price of 1 bluray disc. I figured I can get about 100
movies plus a top of the line player for the price of 1 bluray player.

This in itself would be an interesting proposition (I dont rent
movies) in itself, but I've successfully burned HDTV programming on a
regular DVD-R, in HD DVD compatible format, from Solaris.

For effect: that's _15 cent_ per hour of HD content (Or you can also
use a DVD-R DL for 2 hour but they are much more than twice the
price).

I'm also seeing XBOX HDDVD drives going for $40... these work well
with Solaris and Linux. Newegg had the previous gen Toshiba A20
(1080p) for $99 yesterday, I was going to post the link, but
unfortunately they sold out in no time at all.

Francois