[geeks] Q: Desktop/Network toolbag

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:17:11 CST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 10:46 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> As a nice, non-"Cheap Dell Servers" topic for the weekend, I was wondering what tools folks think should be carried in a tool bag for some one that works on Win/Mac desktops?
[snip]
> Anything else? The goal is to be able to diagnose problems at remote desktops and correct problems, not replace hardware on-site.

Something to allow a crossover ethernet connection.  Either a separate
cable or just one of these:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=10380

You can use it to determine if someone's desktop connection is plugged
into the uplink port by mistake, or you can
connect your laptop directly to their machine to copy files.

--
Dan Duncan