[geeks] The Registry (?)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Aug 31 11:19:42 CDT 2008

On Aug 31, 2008, at 6:26 AM, Jon Gilbert wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2008, at 9:49 PM, Dan Duncan wrote:
>
>> This may be a dumb question, but did you try just throwing memory
>> at it first?
>

> LOL, yes. But memory running at 133 MHZ ... with a 400 MHZ FSB...
> not gonna cut it.

It may not be super speedy, but there is no reason for such a machine
to be dieing on 12MP images, except for either insufficient ram
(regardless of speed) or crappy software that can't be fixed just by
changing the hardware.

I had no trouble other than a bit of sluggishness with 12MP images on
my PC100 based P3, which had 384MB ram.  I would imagine the speed
would have gone up a lot if any of the software would have bothered
to use SSE or MMX.