[geeks] Windows/XP/SP3 corrupt cab file problems

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Aug 23 15:42:11 CDT 2008

I tried to update a computer running XP Pro Corporate, SP2 to SP3 using
the downloadable SP3 update CD image. This is the last one, from May.

When I ran the update, I got a message about being unable to read cabinet
files. I searched for the message on the web and found that someone had
as similar problem and Microsoft had fixed it by having him move certain
.cab files.

It did not work for me, so I must have other corrupt cab files.

I waited a while hoping since it was a common problem, Microsoft would come
out with an improved SP3 with a broken cabinet file detector. No new
version has come out. :-(

Anyone have any ideas on how to find them and what to do?

Have you had any luck getting this error and then having software update
install SP3 sucessfully?

Thanks, Geoff.