[geeks] Wow, PCs are cheap...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 29 14:24:12 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 03:13:14PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:30 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
>

> >Actually, I use the onboard speaker on my Mac alot.  First, I have
> >error and email sounds directed to it all the time.  Also, it
> >handles everything when I have the USB audio turned off, which I
> >leave off anytime I'm not listening to music or watching video.
>
> How do you direct only some sounds to the internal speaker?
>
> I would like to do that since I often power off my big computer
> speakers, but would still like to hear alerts and things.

It is in the sound's system preference panel.  There are a few tabs.
One tab lets you pick the default device.  The tab that lets you assign
sounds to system events is also the tab that lets you pick where the
sound will go.  I don't recall if it lets me choice between the speaker
versus the optical output, or only if I'm choosin between onboard versus
PCI (I started doing this when using a PCI card) versus USB.