[geeks] Electrical power, was atom based computers

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Aug 20 23:48:37 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:52:51PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:

>Are other countries homogenous? Also (conspiracy theory time) don't
>power companies make more money if they give you 240 instead of 230V?

Here in Israel it is. It's 230 volts across the entire country. Of course,
it's a small country.

As for what your electric company "gives" you, to them it's not 120, 220,230,
240 or wgatever. They provide a much higher voltage which is reduced near
you for distribution. How far you are from the transformer, the condition
of the wires and connectors along the way, how big the wire coming into
you home/business and the load on the transformer, etc probably affect
the actual voltage more than anything else.

(on topic rant follows)

If have 25 amp service (yes, I really do) and when I run a 16 amp clothes
dryer, some lights and computers, etc, my voltage dips slightly. If I had
200 amp service, it wouldn't.

Unfortunately although we had 200 amp (at 240v) service in out home in Philly
(and me in mine before I met my wife), here we are in a rental that has 25
amp service and a landlord who will not upgrade it.

I can understand why, he would have to have a big hole cut in the wall and
a tunnel dug for the cable, replace the panel, etc and then have Israel
electric come out and inspect the entire apartment. Since it was built in
1956, it has been expanded from a living/sleeping room, kitchen and
shower/toilet room, to a living room, bathroom (formerly the kitchen),
two hallways, two and half bedrooms, and an entire three room annex.

During that time, none of the work was inspected and I assume most of it
would not pass. He put in floursecent lights in the annex, and insulated
the connection with duct tape. I've been afraid to touch it.

Some things I could not live with, every outlet had the hot side burnt
due to the previous tennant using them for electric heaters that were
too big. I replaced the outlets myself quitely, but refused to pay the
$1500 electric bill the former tennant tried to stick us with.

We've had less than one brown/blackout per year, except for one summer
with "rolling blackouts", but once every couple of weeks my wife puts
on too many appliances at once and the lights go out. :-(

I somewhat enjoy them. I bring out candles and a battery operated radio,
until the power comes back, I can hear radio stations lost in the noise
normally. And there is a lot of noise. :-(

Geoff.