[geeks] Low-cost Dell replacement power supplies

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 20 09:46:57 CDT 2008

Hello all,

My father in-law's computer gave up the ghost yesterday, when the Verizon FiOS installer drilled right into the main power line for the house (ZAP!), of course right after he told my father in-law that he's never hit a power line in over thirty years of installs ;^)

Anyway, his older PC (Dell Dimension 4300, bought in Dec. 2001) power supply didn't survive, and I'm pricing replacements. I've found $70 brand new PS [0], and various specific replacement power supplies on eBay for between $35 -> $45 for BIN incl. S/H.

Anyone know of a source for suitable "new" Dell replacement PS for less than $70? I'd prefer not to gamble on eBay sellers and parts for a 7 year-old system - if I'm going to pay for a replacement part, I want it to last.

As a side note, my father in-law also needs a new flat panel (no room for his 17" tube), so I'm pushing him towards buying new, but I want to have prices for all reasonable options...

I know the PS is the problem, as I have a similar PC that my 4 year old daughter uses and I was able to swap PS and get his PC running...

A new flat panel is about $150 +/- depending on size, and when you add a new PS, you break $200, and that is half-way to a new PC with a new widescreen flat panel [1].

Lionel

[0] http://tinyurl.com/5b6tgj

[1] http://tinyurl.com/6k5vbh