[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Aug 20 05:02:58 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:51:38PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> > Some figures from my machines (*):
> >
> > Ultra 60 with 2 SCSI disks = 130VA
> > Atom D945GCLF with 3 SATA disks = 50VA (up to 55 under load)
> > Prescott P4 with ATI graphics = 115VA (up to 175 when under load)
>
> In watts, your numbers would be different and probably smaller.

I *think* my weird method of measurement measures VA, but that
assumption may be false! Luckily, no one on list has commented on
it. (I measured DC current on my multimeter since it couldn't measure
AC, and had to use a bridge rectifier)

> > Oddly enough, the U60 draws roughly the same amount of current whether
> > it's under load or not! The Atom measurement is with a regular
> > desktop ATX power supply - but I plan to use an M2-ATX DC-DC PSU later
> > on.
>
> I have a box with an adjustable autotransformer, AC voltmeter and AC ammeter and when I vary the current changes in the opposite direction so it appears that the same amount of power is being drawn no matter what the line voltage is (of course it will shut down below 80 volts).  Computer power supplies are certainly NOT resistors. :)

What sort of power factor (ball park) do computer power supplies have?

Cheers,
Jonathan.