[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Aug 19 14:51:38 CDT 2008

> Some figures from my machines (*):
>
> Ultra 60 with 2 SCSI disks = 130VA
> Atom D945GCLF with 3 SATA disks = 50VA (up to 55 under load)
> Prescott P4 with ATI graphics = 115VA (up to 175 when under load)

In watts, your numbers would be different and probably smaller.

> Oddly enough, the U60 draws roughly the same amount of current whether
> it's under load or not! The Atom measurement is with a regular
> desktop ATX power supply - but I plan to use an M2-ATX DC-DC PSU later
> on.

I have a box with an adjustable autotransformer, AC voltmeter and AC ammeter and when I vary the current changes in the opposite direction so it appears that the same amount of power is being drawn no matter what the line voltage is (of course it will shut down below 80 volts).  Computer power supplies are certainly NOT resistors. :)

Bob