[geeks] identifying file with weak sectors?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Aug 16 17:09:51 CDT 2008

I have about 7 gig of MP3's I want to back up to DVD ROM's.

When I do it, it creates a "weak sector" file, which can not be read.

I've seen this with CD-ROM's, but never with DVD's. However since there
are hundreds of MP3's, I can't figure out which file(s) cause the problem.

I've burnt it with different programs, different operating systems on
different computers with different burners and different blanks. The
best I can get is a log file with the sectors that have errors, but
not the file names.

Since I own the original CD's, I can redo the MP3 with a slightly different
encoding, which should fix the problem, once I figured them out.

If I were really industrious, I would write a PERL program that would hash
copy each file on the DVD to /dev/null and note any that had errors.

However I am the lazy sort and looking for a program that would run under
either Windows or Linux that could do this for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Geoff.