[geeks] web photo album recommendations?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 16:39:17 CDT 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Michael Parson wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Dan Duncan wrote:
>
>> I currently maintain my pictures on my web server with a combination
>> of elbow grease and some scripts and it has gotten too hard to stay
>> on top of it and maintain a decent-looking set of albums so I was
>> hoping someone could steer me towards a piece of software that will
>> do
>> a better job.  My web server runs CentOS (whiteboxed redhat) and I'd
>> prefer something server-based (web-based?) or at least multi-platform
>> for building/maintaining the pages because both me and my wife will
>> be
>> uploading/maintaining the albums but that's not strictly necessary.
>>
>> The ability to let it import files that already exist on the server
>> would be a plus because my uplink from home is rather slow.  (I
>> generally let an rsync session run overnight to push them out there)
>>
>> A tool to help me sort and tag my photos (either a separate tool or
>> part of this tool) would also be nice as the naming convention for
>> the
>> folders is not always the same because I have/had multiple cameras
>> over time.
>>
>> I'm running apache as the web server so I can install modules as
>> needed to assist in uploading/importing pictures or a self-contained
>> tool that generates html is also fine.
>
> I think gallery.menalto.com will do most, if not all, of what you are
> asking for.  I'm still using v1.x of the product, but v2 is supposed
> add even more functionality, but I've just been lazy (and a friend of
> mine added a bunch of the nicer functionality to the v1 version, but
> dropped off the product when they started v2).

I agree with Dan.  I use Gallery 2 for my family/ebay hosting and
another site.  It's quite painless, they are very security conscious.
The biggest difficulty was teaching the husband how to get URLs to use
in his blog.  Bonus: there is a plug-in for iPhoto to easily upload
pics to a Gallery 2 install (no plugins necessary on the Gallery side).

=Nadine=