[geeks] web photo album recommendations?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Aug 15 19:21:48 CDT 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Dan Duncan wrote:

> I currently maintain my pictures on my web server with a combination
> of elbow grease and some scripts and it has gotten too hard to stay
> on top of it and maintain a decent-looking set of albums so I was
> hoping someone could steer me towards a piece of software that will do
> a better job.  My web server runs CentOS (whiteboxed redhat) and I'd
> prefer something server-based (web-based?) or at least multi-platform
> for building/maintaining the pages because both me and my wife will be
> uploading/maintaining the albums but that's not strictly necessary.
>
> The ability to let it import files that already exist on the server
> would be a plus because my uplink from home is rather slow.  (I
> generally let an rsync session run overnight to push them out there)
>
> A tool to help me sort and tag my photos (either a separate tool or
> part of this tool) would also be nice as the naming convention for the
> folders is not always the same because I have/had multiple cameras
> over time.
>
> I'm running apache as the web server so I can install modules as
> needed to assist in uploading/importing pictures or a self-contained
> tool that generates html is also fine.

I think gallery.menalto.com will do most, if not all, of what you are
asking for.  I'm still using v1.x of the product, but v2 is supposed to
add even more functionality, but I've just been lazy (and a friend of
mine added a bunch of the nicer functionality to the v1 version, but
dropped off the product when they started v2).

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org