[geeks] web photo album recommendations?

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:46:56 CDT 2008

I currently maintain my pictures on my web server with a combination
of elbow grease and some scripts and it has gotten too hard to stay on
top of it and maintain a decent-looking set of albums so I was hoping
someone could steer me towards a piece of software that will do a
better job.  My web server runs CentOS (whiteboxed redhat) and
I'd prefer something server-based (web-based?) or at least
multi-platform for building/maintaining the pages because both me and
my wife will be uploading/maintaining the albums but that's not
strictly necessary.

The ability to let it import files that already exist on the server
would be a plus because my uplink from home is rather slow.  (I
generally let an rsync session run overnight to push them out there)

A tool to help me sort and tag my photos (either a separate tool or
part of this tool) would also be nice as the naming convention for the
folders is not always the same because I have/had multiple cameras
over time.

I'm running apache as the web server so I can install modules as
needed to assist in uploading/importing pictures or a self-contained
tool that generates html is also fine.

Thanks for any tips!

--
Dan Duncan